Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cheese and other happy things

After reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and other people's raving blogs about cheese making, I ordered a 30 minute mozzarella cheese making kit. I have been very excited waiting for it to arrive! Since I have also recently decided that this month I will not be buying anything except food, (I ordered the kit before the ban on purchasing) I went today to read the book at the Big Book Store. Yes, the kit comes with instructions, but since this is my self-care day, I wanted to read about making more than just mozzarella.

Although, I didn't get too far, as I got a call from my son's school that he needed new pants as he fell in the mud. (Haven't they ever heard the phrase - you'll dry, go play?) Where all this is going, is that several years ago, my father brought back a very strange looking apparatus from Spain. He got it at a street market and it was obviously an antique, but what was it?


We all had our guesses, but none of them right and we had no confirmation, so the thing went on top of my cabinets for display and has sat there for the past 3 or so years. Imagine my surprise when I see a picture in the cheese making book - turns out it is an antique, Spanish cheese press. Lovingly picked out and brought back on the plane to me by my very loving dad. So, not only do I have instructions and stuff for making cheese coming, I already own a cheese press!!! I will definitely have to try my hand at pressed cheeses now. Just not too soon, since I have to start my thesis...

I'm trying to be grateful for the things in my life, so here are a few other things that made me smile this morning:

My honey called to tell me he loved me this morning, and that he wanted me to be happy. (Kind of a struggle lately, but he is the most supportive and generally understanding man. After all, one can only be pushed so far.)

My kids have been taking pictures of themselves:






My chickens were eating the dog food!



And I have fresh bread rising on the counter for tonight along with roasted butternut squash soup!
What do you do to take care of yourself and be grateful?

No comments: