Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ice Cream

“Mom, do you have a recipe you use for your ice cream?”

“Yes.”


“Would you share it with me?”


“Sure. I take some eggs, some milk, some cream or half and half, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla. Mix it up and pour it in the ice cream maker.”


“Gee, considering I haven’t done this before, I’m not sure that helps much.”


“Why not?”


Ok. How much sugar? How many eggs? How much milk?”


“Just throw some together, taste it to see if you need to add anything.”


Ok, why the flour?”


“It makes it smoother. I’d probably only put in a tablespoon or so.”


Strange as this conversation is – this is how I learned to cook. And for most things if I call my mom and ask, these are the kinds of recipes I get. These are also the kinds of recipes I give other people when they ask. Well, you take a little of this and a little of that until it looks right…Right now, I am officially apologizing to everyone who has ever called and asked for me to share a recipe especially those of you who would be self proclaimed non-chefs.



So, I did what my mom told me to. I used 2 eggs (fresh from my chickens), about a cup of sugar, some heavy cream (left over from the most amazing mushroom cream sauce I made the other night), milk, salt, flour and vanilla.


The ice cream was awesome! Here's Ryan on top of the playhouse eating his...


I sliced fresh strawberries for mine...This is really yummy summer goodness!



Recipe: (Well, an approximate recipe)

Beat together:

2 eggs

1 cup sugar (or less if you like it less sweet. I actually prefer a little less)

1/2 - 3/4 heavy cream or half and half

1 - 2 teaspoons vanilla depending on taste

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon of flour if desired. (I made it both ways, since I had to turn around and make more the next day. I did notice with the flour it was a little smoother, but I like it either way. I am trying to limit our intake of wheat, so it's absolutely delicious without it.)

Enough milk to make 4 cups of liquid

Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze!

I have a quart size ice cream maker, so this is for that amount...change recipe as desired and feel free to add fresh fruit, caramel swirls....Also, this recipe is uncooked, so you are eating raw eggs. I have no problem eating raw eggs since they are in most of my favorite foods - hollandaise sauces, homemade mayonnaise, cookie dough, brownie batter...if this concerns you, you could always cook the mixture until it thickens a little and is hot but not boiling. This completely changes the texture and now you have a custard based ice cream recipe instead. A lot of people prefer this, but I love the simplicity and ease of having the mixture in the maker in a matter of minutes!

No comments: