Thursday, June 25, 2009

Starwberry Jam

One of the advantages of living in the Central Valley of California, is that we have amazing produce. I have five fruit stands within 2 miles of my house, and I'm sure there are probably more - I just don't drive that way. I picked this up and within one day everything was melting into juice. So, I chopped up all the strawberries and made strawberry jam. It's never to early to start making Christmas presents. Although, I don't think there is any way this jam will make it to Christmas. I have almost finished the runt which is really interferring in my no-wheat diet!





I chopped up 6 pints of strawberries...





added 2 1/2 cups of sugar...



Add cooked until it gelled...put it into pint jars, boiled for 10 minutes in a water bath and was rewarded with the sweet sounds of the lids sucking down as I was leaving the kitchen. I hadn't even cleaned the kitchen, so it was really within a minute of taking them out of the water.





My grandmother used to love caning. Apparantly it was the only thing she liked to do in the house. My mom would tell me as we were caning that her mom said it was the only think she did around the house that lasted more than a day. I never met my grandmother, but I really understand her sentiments!



No comments: